Welcome Back to Great Chow !!!
This time I wanted show everyone how to make a very easy, super delicious seafood spectacular! I have put together an amazing Seafood Boil with large to jumbo shrimp, snow crab legs, sweet fennel sausage, sweet corn on the cob and soft red potatoes that are pressure cooked to perfection – Its Amazing !!! I will show you the flavoring process as well as the content layer process from beginning to end using the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker. The amazing recipe, directions, images and full length video are below !!! It’s excellent for all year round, sporting events(and tailgating), parties, get-together’s, weekend feasts or even during the week because it’s so simple.
In This Episode:
In this episode we examine the all off the tasty ingredients that are used in a Southern Style Seafood Boil. I also take you on an amazing fishing experience so we can get our tasty Shrimp and Crabs (our tasty treasures of the sea). We review the flavoring of our seafood boil liquid that includes Zatarains (New Orleans Traditional) Shrimp and Crab boil and the Classic Old Bay Seasonings. I also show you how to make a fantastic flavor sachet; contents include garlic, lemon, sage, bay leaves and thyme wrapped in cheese cloth and submerged in the flavor liquid. We also explore the layering process when adding our red potatoes, corn on the cob, sweet fennel sausage, snow crab legs and large to jumbo shrimp.
Looking to get a Instant Pot Pressure Cooker seen in this episode? Just click HERE for the Great Chow link on Amazon: http://goo.gl/uOhBM3
Gallery from Seafood Boil Video !!!
FULL LENGTH VIDEO:
Direct Link to the Video:
\\\\ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ0R66OfzwM ////
Recipe and Directions for Seafood Boil
Please note: This is an excellent baseline recipe for everyone, if you like spicier or less spicy foods you may adjust to your liking. The Zatarain’s Shrimp and Crab boil is the spicy ingredient in this recipe, BUT for this recipe I only use 1 tablespoon so that it is a very mildly spicy boil so that everyone can enjoy.
Our Seafood Boil Flavor Liquid:
- 6 cups water. (You can use the measurement markings on Instant Pot to make the measurement easy for you).
- 1 tablespoon Zatarain’s shrimp and crab boil concentrate.
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3 lemon wedges(squeeze some lemon juice in too!)
- 2 quarters of an onion (suggestions: Spanish Onion or Vidalia)
- 1 Flavor sachet (ingredients right below)
The flavor sachet is composed of:
- 1 cheesecloth cut into a large square, and one piece of string or butcher twine to tie the knot.
- 1 thick slice of lemon
- A garlic bulb cut in half
- 2-3 sprigs of thyme
- 2 sage leaves
- 2 bay leaves
Add all contents to the cheesecloth and tie up with a piece of string or butcher twine (ask in the grocery store).
Cheesecloth can be found in the produce section in your supermarket. If you can not find it – Here is a link for best selling cheesecloth on amazon ! Click Here: Cheesecloth on Amazon
Main Ingredients for Seafood Boil:
- 3 cups, Red Potatoes cleaned and halved.
- 6 Corn on the Cob (about 4 inch pieces).
- 6 Sweet Fennel Sausages ( In preparation: pressure cook for 12 minutes in 2 cups of water, remove and cut into 1 inch pieces when cooled off).
- 1.5 lbs of Snow Crab Clusters (approx. 4-5 clusters)( remove lower portion of crab leg with kitchen shears so crab leg clusters fit in pressure cooker, later we will back fill the pressure cooker with the lower portion.
- 1 to 1.5 lb of Large to Jumbo Shrimp – Cleaned and rinsed / keep shell on (Place the crab and Shrimp in a large bowl as we will be later adding our Hot flavor liquid (like a broth) to it to begin the marinating and soft poaching process.
Directions for Seafood Boil:
- Create our flavor liquid by turning Instant Pot on by pressing the Sauté button.
- Add to the pot – water, Zatarain’s shrimp and crab boil concentrate, Old Bay seasoning, salt, paprika, flavor sachet, onion quarters and bring to a rolling boil.
- Layering process begins! ~ Add red potatoes to the liquid and cook for five minutes.
- PROCESS ALERT!!! After potatoes are added; take a large spoon or ladle and remove about 2-3 cups our flavor liquid from the instant pot and add it to the shrimp and crab in the large bowl so they soak up those flavors. This also allows more room in the Pressure cooker for the solid contents (sausage, corn, crab and shrimp), bring liquid down to at least the 8 cup mark on the Instant Pot. (See Video).
- After cooking potatoes for five minutes; add in this order: the sausage, corn on the cob (give a stir), crab leg clusters, shrimp, then the lower portions of the snow crab legs and claws (see video).
- Apply the pressure cooker lid and lock in place; set the pressure cooker to manual and 5 min, seal the vent on top.
- After the 5 minutes are up, VENT the pressure cooker and remove the Lid. Please pay attention to time as you do not want to overcook the shrimp and crab!
- Remove Contents to a large bowl and ladle on some extra Seafood Boil Liquid and serve! Or remove contents to a Traditional Picnic Newspaper spread on a table top! And… ~ ENJOY !!!
- Want the Professional Look?!?!?!Before you serve; in this order: add additional lemon wedges then dust with additional Paprika and Dry Parsley, the colors (Red and Green) from these 2 herbs and spices look and taste super amazing on the Seafood Boil! Its gives the WOW factor !
- Don’t forget the onion in the pot, it’s awesome with the sausage!
- The seafood boil liquid can be used for additional juice or for an additional delicious spicy dip when serving.
- Serving suggestions: cocktail sauce, tartar sauce, OR my favorite; a Remoulade Sauce (Cajun style mayo, there are different variations of this sauce).
- I do enjoy garlic bread or Texas toast with this as well.
- Interested in the Super Scooper Colander you saw me use to remove all of the contents with? I use it all of the time to remove contents from the pressure cooker.
Click Here: Scoop Strainer/Colander/Slotted Spoon on Amazon
I do hope you make this amazing feast, I believe that this is a tasty recipe for everyone. It’s amazing for all year round, sporting events(and tailgating), parties, get-togethers, weekend feasts or even during the week because it’s so simple. It’s amazing and I’m sure you will love it. Thank you for visiting and I hope you enjoy the video and this blog entry.
After you make it for the first time you will be a professional and then you will be able to cook for an army of people since it so fast and easy.
Always feel free to leave a comment and let me know how you made out. See you next time for next food adventure!
Don’t forget to subscribe! I have so many creative ideas… Don’t miss them!
On YouTube – Search “Great Chow” and Subscribe!
~Jason (Great Chow Jay)
OTHER DELICIOUS GREAT CHOW RECIPES:
New Release Alert!!! Click HERE Try Great Chow’s Grilled Sausage, Peaches and Onions! Its a Must Try !!!